Skip to main content

Dead Space: First Impressions


I picked up Dead Space the other day and have had a few hours to mess around with it. It's the first big title of the fall AAA game onslaught that I was interested enough in to buy. So far it has not disappointed. My girlfriend even had to leave the room while I was playing it, which has to be a good sign for a horror themed shooter.

Dead Space looks fantastic, no doubt about it, which is to say that it looks absolutely disgusting. I am proud that this was the first new game I've had a chance to break in on my new 61" TV. The first thing you'll notice is probably the grossly deformed enemies which persistently lumber at you even after losing both legs (the headshot is no longer king here, it's all about removing their limbs), and they are a sight to behold. Once you get a quiet moment to look around though, you also notice how good the environment looks, in this case a huge "planet cracker" ship named the Ishimura.

The gameplay so far is a little bit Gears of War, and a little bit Resident Evil. No cover system that seems to be all the rage these days, but it just wouldn't make sense in a game where the enemies are popping out from dark scary corners most of the time. The weapon variety I've found so far is a ton of fun. Since chopping limbs is the order of the day, the weapons tend towards the slicing and dicing variety. EA attempted to make all the weapons seem realistic, mostly with construction and engineering slant to them, but I still fail to see where one would use a flamethrower in a giant space ship.

Overall I'm having a grand time mowing down these icky creatures. I'll hopefully post a little more once I wrap things up. If you have the chance, definitely check it out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mass Effect: First Impressions

So I finally picked up Mass Effect yesterday and popped it in. First impressions are pretty good. Like the look a lot, and LOVE the music. The much publicized conversation system isn't revolutionary, but it's fluid and seamless. Some people think there's too much dialog, but I feel like there's always a quick way out if you are so inclined. However skipping most of the dialog will make you miss how realized this world is. There's so much backstory it's nuts. How about the combat? Haven't seen to much yet but it's pretty solid. Could've used a little better cover system, but I'll excuse it for now. We'll see if it becomes an issue. I think I'll be taking the side of letting my team do whatever the hell they want for the time being. Seems to work alright. I do agree though that the whole item organization system sucks balls. You pickup TONS of crap during misisons, and it's not organized at all in your menus. I think I'll get over

How to relax, just a little

The game pictured above is Switchball , a puzzle game from Sierra now available on Xbox Live Arcade and PC. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and it's been my go-to for a quick gaming fix ever since. It's a deceptively simple puzzle game that's along the lines of Marble Madness or Monkey Ball , but with a clever twist. You're trying to get a simple marble past widely varied puzzles, but can change the ball into other states when the puzzle requires. There's a heavy metal ball for pushing heavy objects or getting past fans, or an air ball that can be inflated to float past spikes and other obstacles, and a sort of super ball that can be charged to jump, dash, or be magnetic. The puzzles start out simple, but get pretty complicated pretty quick. There's also a multiplayer race mode, but that's not my cup of tea. What's so amazing about this game is how clever the puzzles are. They're so good in spots that you just have to smile when you solve them. I&

Chuck Klosterman ignites a shitstorm

Before I say anything about the story he wrote, and it's snowball effect on the video game world, I will simply say that I believe Chuck Klosterman is a genius. His books and articles are insightful, hilarious, intelligent, and thought provoking, often all at the same time. He's a senior editor at Spin Magazine, a columnist for Esquire and ESPN the Magazine, and has written for countless other publications. You would do yourself good to go read some of his work, or all of it for that matter. Now that I'm done kissing his ass, I'll tell you the real story. Last month Klosterman wrote an article for Esquire titled The Lester Bangs of Video Games . The intent of the article was to discuss why there isn't a truly transcendent video game critic writing about video games for the masses, or any real writing in that direction. It's a fascinating read even for non-video gamers. To say that the reaction was mixed would be irresponsible, it was a torrent of applause