Skip to main content

We knew there could be trouble, but this...




Just look at this headline to a recent WIRED magazine article and tell me it isn't at least a little surprising:

Can the PS3 Save Sony?
The company that created the transistor radio and the Walkman is at the precipice. If Sony's new $600 console doesn't blow gamers away, it may be time to say sayonara.
by Frank Rose

Now I know that the video game industry has been considering the possibility that the PS3 could be a flop for quite a while now(the timeline varies greatly depending on who you talk to, but for my money it's since they announced the price), but I don't think too many people really thought it could sink Sony. However I suggest anyone who thinks that possibility is very slim should go ahead and read the fascinating article Frank Rose has written for WIRED because it makes a very convincing argument.

My own opinion? Well despite some severe bashing by the hardcore gaming community, I still think this machine has a decent chance. Some huge mistakes have been made by Sony, but there is still a lot to be revealed. I know $600 is a lot of money but you must also realize children, that there are people every day spending that much for graphics cards alone in their gaming PC's. And if you still think it's insane well then I direct your attention to an eye-opening little study by the fine folks at Curmudgeon Gamer. It lists the absolute and relative prices of pretty much every console system of worth to come out in the last 30 years. Check it out.

It's been really amazing though to see Sony go from a company that everyone thought was crazy to challenge Sega and Nintendo in '95, to whomping the competition with both the PS1 and PS2, to now standing in front of possibly their most crucial hour, and all their hopes rest on this one game system. Viewing Sony as a whole, and not just a video game company, I must say I hope this isn't it. Despite some recent mis-steps, they are still responsible for some of the finest home electronics around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Way to spend a day.

I don't know about you but nothing makes me fell refreshed like wasting an entire day playing video games. My roomate just returned home last night after a 3 month incarceration in Pittsburgh. Since his showing up last night at least 17 (conservitive estimate) hours of gaming has been logged between the two of us on our hardworking Signature 2000(?) television. I myself have been playing more games than in the last few months as of late due to having a new job and a little spare cash for once. No big spending sprees, but used gaming trade ins have been good to me. For me its been lots of Metroid Prime 2 on the Gamecube until my $6 ebay copy of The Matrix: Path of Neo showed up in the mail yesterday(after being sent through the US Postal Services worm-hole apparently, as I won the bid on Friday afternoon and paid for it late that night. It was coming from Texas freaking standard mail, not even priority). My roomie has been playing the fantabulous God of War. Actually all the...

How to relax, just a little

The game pictured above is Switchball , a puzzle game from Sierra now available on Xbox Live Arcade and PC. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and it's been my go-to for a quick gaming fix ever since. It's a deceptively simple puzzle game that's along the lines of Marble Madness or Monkey Ball , but with a clever twist. You're trying to get a simple marble past widely varied puzzles, but can change the ball into other states when the puzzle requires. There's a heavy metal ball for pushing heavy objects or getting past fans, or an air ball that can be inflated to float past spikes and other obstacles, and a sort of super ball that can be charged to jump, dash, or be magnetic. The puzzles start out simple, but get pretty complicated pretty quick. There's also a multiplayer race mode, but that's not my cup of tea. What's so amazing about this game is how clever the puzzles are. They're so good in spots that you just have to smile when you solve them. I...