Skip to main content

Casual Gaming

I read somewhere a while ago that the most visited video game site on the internet is Yahoo Games. This might seem odd to some people, but it's true. The reason is because apparently a ton of people love wasting time playing solitaire, Hearts, or one of the many other simple and classic games available there. I have nothing against Yahoo Games(I myself have been known to play a few games of pool there on occasion), but I don't particularly like seeing that site ranked in the same category as solid game journalism sites Gamespot and IGN(#2 and #3 on that list I believe). I just think they should be in two different categories entirely. However this is beside the point.

What the point is is that lots of people like casual games. These are games that are ususally either digital representations of real world games(Solitaire, Hearts etc...) or just very simple to pick up video game snacks(Tetris, Snood etc...). If you like games that are simple to pick up, but possibly a better work out for your brain, then the fine folks over at Jay Is Games have you back. They provide solid reviews of flash based games from a myriad of different internet sites.

Going beyond the call of duty, Jay Is Games recently hosted a competition to design a simple flash based puzzle game. The kind of affair that can be finished in one sitting, and can be controlled very simply, hopefully using only the mouse. The inspiration is the types of puzzles found in the Myst series, along with the Click Drag Type series of flash games. When the dust settled, 17 entries were submitted. While there are several very good games among the entries I have had a chance to play, I agree with their winner they chose, Clack. It's so simple yet so challenging and clever. Iwould love to describe it in detail to all of you, but I think it's better if you simply go try it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Way to spend a day.

I don't know about you but nothing makes me fell refreshed like wasting an entire day playing video games. My roomate just returned home last night after a 3 month incarceration in Pittsburgh. Since his showing up last night at least 17 (conservitive estimate) hours of gaming has been logged between the two of us on our hardworking Signature 2000(?) television. I myself have been playing more games than in the last few months as of late due to having a new job and a little spare cash for once. No big spending sprees, but used gaming trade ins have been good to me. For me its been lots of Metroid Prime 2 on the Gamecube until my $6 ebay copy of The Matrix: Path of Neo showed up in the mail yesterday(after being sent through the US Postal Services worm-hole apparently, as I won the bid on Friday afternoon and paid for it late that night. It was coming from Texas freaking standard mail, not even priority). My roomie has been playing the fantabulous God of War. Actually all the...

How to relax, just a little

The game pictured above is Switchball , a puzzle game from Sierra now available on Xbox Live Arcade and PC. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and it's been my go-to for a quick gaming fix ever since. It's a deceptively simple puzzle game that's along the lines of Marble Madness or Monkey Ball , but with a clever twist. You're trying to get a simple marble past widely varied puzzles, but can change the ball into other states when the puzzle requires. There's a heavy metal ball for pushing heavy objects or getting past fans, or an air ball that can be inflated to float past spikes and other obstacles, and a sort of super ball that can be charged to jump, dash, or be magnetic. The puzzles start out simple, but get pretty complicated pretty quick. There's also a multiplayer race mode, but that's not my cup of tea. What's so amazing about this game is how clever the puzzles are. They're so good in spots that you just have to smile when you solve them. I...