Skip to main content

No Wii jokes, I swear.

It's coming for you and your children, and there's nothing you can do to stop it.



So everything (pretty much) has been laid out on the table. The big things you need to know:
1. $250
2. Nov. 19th
3. Zelda (pictured above) at launch day

That's right folks, just in time for the holiday season you'll be able to get your grubby little hands on Nintendo's latest creation, the Wii. For only $250 you not only get the system and one controller/nunchuck combination, but also the game Wii Sports as well. My feelings on including a pack in game (something not done at launch by a system since the Super Nintendo) are mixed, especially when it appears that many of the games included on Wii Sports (Tennis, Golf, Boxing, Bowling, and Baseball so far) are of the fluffy filler variety. However at this point there's not too much I will be able to do about it. As for the price, I think it's right on target, although the option of $200 minus that game would've been welcome.

Other details to come out of Nintendo's NY City press conference include the Wii-mote and Nunchuck selling by themselves for $40 and $20 respectively. This seems a little high, as I was feeling more like $30 and $15, but whatever. Nintendo builds pretty much indestuctible stuff so I'm down. Also, it appears the Wii will not be able to play DVD's as was previously speculated by some. Again, no biggie here. You want DVD playback, buy a freakin Xbox 360 or PS3, or better yet use one of the damn DVD players you already own. On the downer side of things, at launch there will be no support for external hard drives to store online downloadable content, which mostly consists of the Virtual Console games. I don't think this is a big issue for most NES and Super NES games, but I have a feeling those N64 games take up a bit more space. And lastly, the nerds let out a cheer at the news that Nintendo made Wii games will be region free, and other publishers are likely to follow suit. This means if you feel like importing, it'll be that much easier.

On the game side, no big surprises. Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess will be available at launch, along with about two dozen other games. Thirty or so total games will be availbale by the years end, and several more by the end of the March 2007. What am I going to be playing on launch day(which I just realized is a Sunday)? Well Zelda is a given(duh). Other than that, I think there is a solid chance of me coming home with at least one other game, likely to be Red Steel(first person Yakuza themed shooter/sword-fighting game), Rayman Raving Rabbids(brightly colored platformer featuring several mini games and crazy ass rabbits), or Trauma Center: Second Opinion(Crazy surgery game that's a follow up to a steller Nintendo DS title).

So there you have it. After months of speculation, it's now time to start the real test of a gamers endurance: waiting patiently for a new system. I personally need to get a new TV before then, otherwise I'm gonna be pretty sad staring at all the other kids as they get to enjoy their Wii before I do. Let me know what you think about the big news.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Will there be virtual sword fights with the Red Steel game? I don't care too much about a virtual tennis racket. I want a virtual sword that lops off virtual heads. Zombie heads ideally.

Popular posts from this blog

Mass Effect: First Impressions

So I finally picked up Mass Effect yesterday and popped it in. First impressions are pretty good. Like the look a lot, and LOVE the music. The much publicized conversation system isn't revolutionary, but it's fluid and seamless. Some people think there's too much dialog, but I feel like there's always a quick way out if you are so inclined. However skipping most of the dialog will make you miss how realized this world is. There's so much backstory it's nuts. How about the combat? Haven't seen to much yet but it's pretty solid. Could've used a little better cover system, but I'll excuse it for now. We'll see if it becomes an issue. I think I'll be taking the side of letting my team do whatever the hell they want for the time being. Seems to work alright. I do agree though that the whole item organization system sucks balls. You pickup TONS of crap during misisons, and it's not organized at all in your menus. I think I'll get over

How to relax, just a little

The game pictured above is Switchball , a puzzle game from Sierra now available on Xbox Live Arcade and PC. I downloaded it a few weeks ago and it's been my go-to for a quick gaming fix ever since. It's a deceptively simple puzzle game that's along the lines of Marble Madness or Monkey Ball , but with a clever twist. You're trying to get a simple marble past widely varied puzzles, but can change the ball into other states when the puzzle requires. There's a heavy metal ball for pushing heavy objects or getting past fans, or an air ball that can be inflated to float past spikes and other obstacles, and a sort of super ball that can be charged to jump, dash, or be magnetic. The puzzles start out simple, but get pretty complicated pretty quick. There's also a multiplayer race mode, but that's not my cup of tea. What's so amazing about this game is how clever the puzzles are. They're so good in spots that you just have to smile when you solve them. I&

Chuck Klosterman ignites a shitstorm

Before I say anything about the story he wrote, and it's snowball effect on the video game world, I will simply say that I believe Chuck Klosterman is a genius. His books and articles are insightful, hilarious, intelligent, and thought provoking, often all at the same time. He's a senior editor at Spin Magazine, a columnist for Esquire and ESPN the Magazine, and has written for countless other publications. You would do yourself good to go read some of his work, or all of it for that matter. Now that I'm done kissing his ass, I'll tell you the real story. Last month Klosterman wrote an article for Esquire titled The Lester Bangs of Video Games . The intent of the article was to discuss why there isn't a truly transcendent video game critic writing about video games for the masses, or any real writing in that direction. It's a fascinating read even for non-video gamers. To say that the reaction was mixed would be irresponsible, it was a torrent of applause